|Caroline Middleton Reeves (1827-1911)|
Middleton Reeves was the widow of Mark Reeves,
prominent merchant and one of the founders of the Fist National Bank
in Richmond. In 1893, Caroline donated $30,000 to what was then
the Morrisson Library, in memory of her husband and her son, Arthur,
who had died two years earlier in a train accident. Her gift
made possible a major renovation which added a third floor, covered
entrance, large stack area, and distinctive tower on the northeast corner
of the building.
With the agreement of the Morrisson heirs, the library officially became the Morrisson-Reeves Library.
The renovations were conducted efficiently enough that part of the original gift went into a fund that was to be administered by the Reeves Committee. This fund has been used to purchase books and finance various special projects within the library.
Back to Biography Index
Return to the Local History Home
©Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond,
E-mail our Archivist email@example.com