|The Gennett Theatre was built on the site of the
Bradley Theatre, which had burned down in September 1898. Clarence Gennett
bought the property in the summer of 1899 and had the new theater built
in an amazing 92 days, opening on December 22, 1899. In 1904, Gennett
expanded and remodeled it. The Gennett Flats, the three-story building
still standing to the east, was attached to the theater, its first floor
consisting of dressing rooms for the performers.
In 1916 Gennett renovated it again, this time to convert it to a motion picture theater. Its name became the Washington in 1918 and later it was changed yet again to the Lawrence. It was razed in 1935 to make way for a filling station. In 1964, the property was sold to Lingle Real Estate.
Return to Lost Richmond index
©Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond,
E-mail our Archivist email@example.com